ROOMMATES


“Tea.. Ready..” I heard Arjun calling out.

I was head to toe covered under the blanket. It was Saturday, getting up early mornings and especially on a weekend is painful. 

“The rent is due in 2 days” he said. I remembered last month I had paid and it’s his turn this month.

Exactly a year back when we met at a common friend’s place, both of us were pissed with our respective accommodations and roommates. We discussed over a drink, found a place in a week’s time and shifted there. It wasn’t tough settling in the new house, unlike my previous experiences, and got lot of help from my new roommate.

“Are you planning to go home next weekend? It’s a long weekend.” he asked. I realised I hadn’t booked the tickets. 

“Yes, I want to but forgot to book tickets, and I am sure wouldn’t be available now with all the madness for the holidays” I sighed and cursed my planning .

Long weekends are boon for a 5-day working culture. You get a holiday on a Friday you leave by Thursday eve and spend a good time at home, rest and relax. Eat lot of food, mom’s special Puttu and Kadalai (dish made out of rice in Kerala, quite a popular one). But now that stands cancelled with my unpreparedness.

“Arjun what you doing for the long weekend?” I asked.

“Nothing much, will hang out at Chai Patti on Friday, probably call Gokul and go to Monkey Bar, nothing planned yet” he replied as he was sorting his clothes. 

I realised mine is not done yet.

With this amazing long weekend opportunity in hand I just couldn't resist

“Will you be interested for a 5 hour drive and have a Kerala vacation for 2 days?” I asked in a very low voice. 

I was thinking it would be great as he has a car, so can leave anytime, but it shouldn’t sound me taking advantage of him. He looked at me from the heap of clothes he was sorting, as if I had given him a reason to live. 

‘Wow! that would be exciting! Always wanted to drive to Kerala! Not a bad idea" he was almost jumping., then he paused 
"but.." another long pause "...will it be okay for your parents?” he looked at me with lot of questions on his face.
It took me few seconds to respond

“That wouldn’t be an issue.” I said, hesitatingly.

With few questions myself had running back of my mind , I don’t know how mom will react. She has always been little skeptical with my friends coming over when I was in school or even staying at a friend’s place for overnight studies.

“We can leave on Thursday early from after office, should reach Ottapalam by 11:30-12:00” I was re-confirming on him to join.

“Great!” his face from the heap of clothes announced .

“I love Kerala food and the people there” he had a grin when he said that.

Being a Bihari he just couldn't resist South Indian food. The other day he pulled me middle of the night to go to Empire at Church Street, only place you can get food even at 2 in the morning in this city. He had Parotta and chicken curry plus Appam that he hogged like it was his last meal.

Time flies or is it just that we are so unorganised that we forget to keep a count of the days. 4 days went so quickly and it was Thursday. 
Bags packed, I had carried it with me to office where Arjun will pick me. From there all roads lead to Ottapalam.

“You are coming back to office on Monday? Or staying back?” Revathi asked.

Revathi and I were in the same department. She was in her 40s, 20 years in the company, a traditional Kannadiga aunty she was handling all backend job of marketing activities, basically the boring part - invoicing, PO creation etc.

“Back by Sunday night, probably late night, as going by car” I replied with looking up and working on the presentation I had to mail to Meeta before I leave.

Meeta is the boss - Opinionated, independent, comes across with full of zest and is compassionate as well - but not for late submission of presentations.

“ Car? Whose car?” She asked.

“Me and Arjun are driving to Kerala” why she has so many questions to ask I thought as I replied.

The last slide is a pain with all data and ROI calculations.
She looked at me as if I had said something bad to her making a disapproving face of what I had just said. 

"She looked like my mom for a minute", I surprisingly looked at her when she made that face. 

But that is Revati who always makes a face whenever I tell her about my roommate. I could never figure out what could be the reason, but then one day over couple of drinks with Arjun he told me the look she gave him when I had invited him to her son's birthday party. 

Actually the invite was for me, a month back when she had invited me to her kid’s birthday, Arjun hadn't any plans and at home alone and I asked him to join without thinking much about the host with whom I hadn’t checked. But now thinking of that makes me realise probably she had an issue with a guy who came to her party uninvited and had additional plate which wasn’t budgeted.

Clicked the Send button and re-checked the outbox, last thing I would want is the presentation lying in my outbox when I am back in office on Monday.As I was closing the laptop, the mobile rang.

“I am down, ready?” Arjun called.
“On my way down, give me five minutes” I said as I packed the laptop and picked my bag.

I was at the elevator when Revathi also came. She didn’t say a word. 

“Please get the Purchase Order on Monday for the printing. We need to send on Monday otherwise the event will get delayed and Meeta will rip me” I reminded her.

She nodded her head, still in a kind of disapproval of something she didn’t like.
Walking out of the elevator could see Arjun in his black Skoda Fabia smiling at Revathi, folded his hands.

“Hi Mam, how are you? How’s Achu?” he enquired about her son.

Again she nodded in a typical yes and no kinds and walked towards her two wheeler.

“She’s odd.” I told Arjun while keeping my bag in the backseat.

“Tell her will buy a Biriyani which I had at her place” he joked.
Getting on to the highway with the evening breeze on my face I was looking at the horizon. 

"Guncha Koyi.. Mere naam kar diya...” (Someone gifted me a flower-bud) was on the playlist. This song is one for the heart. Arjun's collection of songs is really amazing. Even at home when he plays on the speaker, I go quiet. Sitting in the balcony with a glass of nice Scotch in my hand listening to the music eyes on the horizon far away.

“Where did you get all these songs? They are Awesome” I make a point to ask him this every time he plays his collection, even at home.

“It’s a collection made over the years, 8 to be precise” with a proudness in the tone he replied.

The songs were mix bag of emotions; love, heartbreak, happiness, sadness, wonderful thing called life - and reminded me of lot of things that I had gone through my life they can connect very well, “doesn’t all songs do that?” I thought. 

It took us 5 hours but I felt it was less. We spoke lot about things around us. People whom we have met, incidents of our respective lives, travelling to places, our work etc. Probably we spoke more in these 5 hours than we ever had in a year living under one roof.
I felt different when I could see we were approaching the gates of my house. While getting down I was happy that I asked Arjun to come to Kerala.

I could hear mom opening the door and dad saying, “Geeta is here.”

Mom had the strangest of looks when she opened the door; by Indian society standards it was so obvious. Your unmarried daughter coming home late night with a boy, unimaginable.

“Ithu ara? (who is this?) “ she asked in her typical Ottapalam Malayalam, with a face which seems to not have a welcoming look.

“My roommate. “ I replied with the most happiest smile I could have given.

Next couple of days went quite interesting, thanks for my cool dad. He ensured Arjun hadn't any odd encounters with my mom. I splurged on all of mom's amazing culinary skills. 

This was the first time in my whole life leaving home and going back from the holidays felt really good and I was so keen to look forward for the 5 hour journey, can it become 7 hours?.

I waved mom and dad bye, was about to switch on his amazing collection of songs, with authority, I remembered

“Arjun, this month it’s your turn to pay the rent…”



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What makes me Uncommon

The Best of Childhood